OzAPP Awards, a Curtin University initiative, has revealed the five finalists who will be pitching their app concepts in front of an international judging panel at The West Tech Fest on Monday, February 17th.
The finalists are:
- Matthew Fontana, John Daniels and Damien Hatton, Founders of Triplifier (WA), an app that will show users the best events happening at their destination between their dates of travel;
- Molly Taylor and Brendt Sheen, Founders of Infinite Wardrobe (QLD), a fashion networking app that allows individuals to buy and sell fashion items online;
- Hugh Geiger, Ken Macken and Seppo Saario, Founders of Ollo Mobile (QLD), a connectivity app allowing seniors to stay in touch with family members whilst living an active and independent life;
- Adam Faulkner, Chris Saunders and Andrew Simpson, Founders of Toyprint (NSW), an app that allows people to personalise their toys by using the latest in 3D printing;
- Catherine Eibner, Jordan Knight and Alex Knight, Founders of Project Tripod (NSW), a photography app that visualises change over time, though timelapse or blend.
The winner of the OzAPP Awards will win a $100,000 convertible note from Qualcomm Ventures providing the winners with funding to progress their idea into a successful startup business. The top three finalists will share $20,000 in cash prizes, mentoring and commercialisation packages from Optus and Yuuwa Capital as well as $10,000 of marketing and App development courtesy of the App Village and App Labs Australia.
Bill Tai, Visiting Professor and Innovator in Residence at Curtin University and Silicon Valley based investor, said he was “blown away by the quality of ideas and teams in this year’s applications.”
“There is growing awareness in the Valley that Australia is a great source of innovation in the digital space and the Awards are providing a focal point for people to come and take a look for themselves.”
Agreeing with the sentiment, Rohan McDougall, Director of IP Commercialisation at Curtin University said the OzAPP Awards has gained international recognition and prestige, “with a significant group of global entrepreneurs and investors attending the final event in Perth and checking out the local tech scene while they are here.”
This year’s judges and speakers include:
- Bill Tai, Angel Investor and Venture Capitalist at Charles River Ventures. Early investor in Twitter, Tweetdeck and Voxer.
- Lars Rasmussen, Cofounder of Google Maps and Engineering Director for Facebook, and former Engineer at Google.
- Aaron Gershenberg, Founder of Silicon Valley Bank’s fund of funds and direct investment group, SVB Capital. Under his leadership, the group has over $1.7 billion under management.
- Patrick Eggen, Director at Qualcomm Ventures, the group has over $500 million under management.
The finalists are thrilled with the opportunity to pitch in front of highly reputable investors and entrepreneurs based in Silicon Valley. Matt Fontana, Co-Founder of Triplifier, an event aggregator tool for use when visiting different cities, said, “We’re extremely excited and grateful to be presenting Triplifier at the 2014 OzAPP Awards. This is a fantastic opportunity for us to share our vision with so many highly regarded judges, mentors and peers.”
The sold-out event is taking place at Bankwest HQ in Perth, coming Monday.
For more information, visit ozapp.com.au.
Image source: Shutterstock.