If you are Sydney based, and you have not ever heard of Gelato Messina, you need to [a] get out more or [b] start eating gelato.
Today UBER announced a strategic marketing exercise with the massively popular gelato brand who literally have queues going out and onto the street at all three of their stores in the Sydney Metro area. It is all part of their global #Ubericecream campaign that they have happening today in their 33 cities they now inhabit. In Sydney the details are:
- Ice cream trucks will be concentrated in Sydney’s CBD and Eastern Suburbs from 2 PM to 10 PM today, Friday July 19th.
- For $20 you get a 500ml tub with three signature Messina flavours: Bounty, Italian Nougat and Salted Caramel with White Chocolate.
- Additional tubs can be purchased for $12 (subject to availability)
- No cash required! Your ice creams will be charged directly to your Uber account.
To get your ice-cream before 10pm today:
- Download the Uber app for iPhone or Android
- Request the “Ice Cream” option via your app
- If a truck is available, you and your friends will be enjoying tasty gelato and Uber swag within minutes
This is a prime example of how new businesses and brands coming into the Australian marketplace can gain leverage from a strategic partnership with known brands that have a similar profile to their target market. Be interesting to see the conversions in the coming weeks of those that use the service again.