How entrepreneurship can change the world….
Each one of us lives a privileged life. I’m not saying we don’t face hardships, I know all too well the hardships that people face in life, I’ve faced many. But one thing I learned from life in Africa, was that life is not about money, it’s not about how much you earn or how much you own. It’s about squeezing as much joy, life and passion into every moment. Life is about family & community…it’s about people.
That’s one of the reasons I created my businesses; mmMule connects people online, but creates real offline relationships between people who go out of their way to make a stranger happy – it’s a beautiful thing to watch unfold.
I also think that we all have a responsibility to change the world. I believe that people are fundamentally good but they don’t necessarily know where to start – so with AngelMule, we’re making it easy & transparent for people to connect with and help nonprofits by delivering supplies to projects in need.
That’s also why I started Think Act Change – through TAC, I work to inspire ordinary people to bring about positive change in the world through stories, by showing them the extraordinary impact of projects started by people just like them.
I believe entrepreneurship is the only way to change the world, it allows us to build something out of nothing, to create communities, to create real change. It’s why I absolutely adore what I do.
Here are some tips on how to begin making big changes to the world:
- Stop chasing money. Do what you love & what you’re passionate about. If what you do is good for you, your customer & the planet, you won’t have to worry about chasing money, the money will come later.
- Dream BIG! Someone once told me, if you aim for the moon, at least you’ll clear the trees – people think too small sometimes.
- Never give up on your dreams. Everyone I know told me I was mad to quit my job, mad to move to Africa, mad to set up mmMule & even more crazy to stay in Australia when I got ill. If I had listened I’d probably be stuck at home in Ireland in a job I hated.
- People often don’t get what they want out of life because they’re either afraid to ask for it or they don’t believe they deserve it. Believe in yourself and believe that you deserve the life that you dream of.
- Be true to yourself, live the life you want & don’t give in to the pressure of what others expect of you.
- Don’t be afraid of failure. It is not a sign of weakness, it’s a sign that you are innovative and dare to think differently. If you want to change the world, you can’t just follow the crowd.
Avis Mulhall is an Irish girl who ditched her successful career in Ireland in 2008 to move to Africa where she lived in a rainforest in Tanzania, traveled through 15 countries, got attacked by a cheetah and ran a surf and yoga lodge in Mozambique before moving to Oz to set up her travel startup mmMule.com With a passion for social enterprise and social innovation, she is also the founder of Think Act Change, which is aimed at inspiring & educating people to bring about positive change in the world.