Grindr sells 60 percent stake for $93 million; SkyScanner raises $192 million; CarTrade raises $145 million
It’s been a busy week across the global startup landscape, with a number of companies raising capital. Scottish travel platform SkyScanner has raised $192 million and become one of the latest startups to achieve unicorn status in the process, while Indian car sales platform CarTrade raised $145 million. In acquisitions news, Chinese gaming company Beijing Kunlun Tech acquired a 60 percent stake in Grindr for $93 million. Closer to home, Microsoft acquired tech assets from Brisbane company Event Zero to bolster its Skype for Business offering, while CapitalPitch closed a $600,000 seed round.
Grindr has sold a 60 percent stake to Chinese gaming company Beijing Kunlun Tech for $93 million, a deal which values the startup at $155 million. According to the New York Times, the remaining 40 percent of the company is to be owned by founder Joel Simkhai and its employees. This is the first outside capital being put into the business, with Grindr having bootstrapped for seven years.
Digital Currency Group, a leader in the bitcoin and blockchain sector, has acquired CoinDesk for an undisclosed amount. DCG was one of the startup’s earliest investors, and CoinDesk’s Jeremy Bonney said in a blog post that the company’s “resources and vision will enable the CoinDesk team to keep pace with those growing needs and continue delivering the top-quality journalism our readers have come to expect.”
Startups.co has acquired Zana, an educational platform looking to help entrepreneurs from around the world gain access to insights from Silicon Valley insiders.
Microsoft has acquired technology assets from Brisbane startup Event Zero in order to boost the capabilities of its Skype for Business product. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. The tech acquired is that underlying Event Zero’s UC Commander product suite, which provides management and reporting tools for the cloud version of Skype for Business; with the acquisition, Microsoft said the technology will be integrated directly into the Skype for Business platform.
Sydney fintech startup CapitalPitch has closed a $600,000 seed round led by Aaron Bertinetti and Trevor Folsom, director of Elevation Capital. The startup will use the funding to expand both its online platform and its network of expert mentors and advisors. It has also brought on board former Gust developer Ryan McGarvey as CTO and Alan Beattie, former deputy CEO of HSBC, as CFO.
Indian startup CarTrade, which has created a classifieds platform for car dealers, has raised $145 million in a funding round led by Singapore investment company Temasek and March Capital, with participation from existing investor Warburg Pincus. The funding will go towards product expansion and the acquisition of CarWale, a competitor, from German company Axel Springer.
Shape Security has raised $25 million in a Series D round led by Baseline Venture, Northern Light, and Epic Ventures, with participation from existing investors including Google Ventures and Kleiner Perkins Caulfied & Byers. The round, which brings the total raised by the startup to date to $91 million, will be used to push Shape’s expansion into China.
Zerto, which provides disaster recovery software for the crowd, has raised $50 million in a Series E round led by IVP, with participation from investors including Access Industries. The funding will go towards product development.
Business Insider has reported that Babylon Health is raising $25 million in a round led by AB Kinnevik, with the funds to go towards hiring engineers and scientists in order to build a new version of its platform powered by artificial intelligence.
UK startup Carwow, which helps people buy new cars, has raised £12.5 in a Series B round led by Accel, with participation from Balderton Capital, Samos Investments, and Episode 1 Ventures. This brings the total raised by the startup to date to £18.4 million.
mParticle, a New York City startup that helps mobile app makers consolidate data, has raised $15 million in a Series A round led by Social Capital, with participation from the startup’s existing investors Bowery Capital, Eniac Ventures, and Golden Ventures. Social Capital partner Ted Maidenberg has joined mParticle’s board of directors.
SmashFly, a startup working in the recruitment marketing space, has raised $22 million in a Series B round led by Bessemer Venture Partners. The round, which brings the total raised by the startup to date to $31 million, will go towards accelerating product development, the opening of an office in Boston, and hiring 70 new staff across various departments.
Scottish travel platform SkyScanner has raised $192 million, pushing it to unicorn status with its valuation now over $1 billion. The round was raised by five investors, including global fund manager Artemis, Baillie Gifford, and Khazanah Nasional Berhad, the Malaysian Government’s strategic investment fund. The funding will go towards building new tools for users.
Datadog, a systems monitoring startup, has raised $94.5 million in a Series D round led by Iconiq Capital, with participation from existing investors including Index Ventures, OpenView Ventures, and Amplify Partners.
Singapore startup SanSan has raised $16.9 million in a Series C round led by ncluded DCM Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, and Nissay Capital. The funding will go towards accelerating product innovation and international business growth.
Data extraction startup Import.io has raised $13 million in a Series A round led by Imperial Innovations, with participation from Wellington Partners, Oxford Capital, Open Ocean, Delin Capital, and AME Cloud Ventures. The funds will be used to further develop the startup’s technology, as well as expand its network of analytics and visualisation partners.
SoundCloud has reportedly raised $35 million in debt funding from Tennenbaum Capital Partners, with the option to raise a further $70 million through convertible bonds. It comes after several years of rumours that SoundCloud was having trouble raising capital and was considering a sale.
Artificial intelligence company AiCure has raised $12.25 million in a Series A round led by New Leaf Venture Partners, with additional participation from investors including Pritzker Group Venture Capital, Tribeca Venture Partners, and Biomatics Capital.
Banking platform provider Mambu has raised $8.7 million in a funding round led by Acton Capital Partners and CommerzVentures, with participation from existing investors. The funding will help the startup continue its global expansion.
FourSquare has raised $45 million in a round that has cut its valuation of $650 million in 2013 in half. The round was led by existing investor Union Square Ventures, with participation from other previous investors including DFJ Growth and Andreessen Horowitz.
Cloud software startup Anaplan has raised $90 million in a round that has pushed its valuation up to $1.09 billion. The round was led by Indian firm Premji Invest, with participation from existing investors. The startup has raised $240 million to date.
App analytics startup Annie has raised $63 million in a Series E round led by Greenspring Associates, with participation from existing investors including Sequoia Capital, Greycroft Partners, and e.Ventures.
Boomerang Commerce, which has created an analytics platform for retailers, has raised $12 million in a Series B round led by Shasta Ventures, with participation from existing investors from Madrona Venture Group and Trinity Ventures. The funding will go towards expanding Boomerang’s product offering.
Personal cloud startup MiMedia has raised $15 million in a Series C round from investors including Thorney Investment Group, Whitebarn Associates, R&R Venture Partners, and Micromax Informatics. The fresh funding, which brings the total raised by the startup to date to $35 million, will go towards accelerating growth, expanding the startup’s team, and supporting existing global distribution partnerships.
Analytics startup Looker has raised $48 million in a Series C round led by Kleiner Perkins, with participation from existing investors including Redpoint Ventures, Meritech, and Sapphire Ventures. The funding will go towards international expansion and accelerating growth through investments in sales, marketing, and engineering.
Movie streaming service Mubi has raised $50 million from Huanxi Media Group, a move which will help the service launch into China. The investment will see Huaxni own 70 percent of a yet-to-launch joint venture called Mubi China, with Mubi holding the remaining 30 percent. $10 million of the $50 million investment will go directly to Mubi.
Image: CarTrade CEO Vinay Sanghi. Source: YourStory.