News, Insights and Stories from the Australian and New Zealand tech ecosystem.

Tablets, business tools or nice toys?

To go tablet or not?

It seems not a day goes past that the news isnʼt talking about tablets, such as the Apple iPad 2, the Samsung Galaxy Tab, the BlackBerry PlayBook and the list goes on.

According to research released by leading ICT analyst firm Telyste on 14 June 2011 Australianʼs will buy approximately 1.2 million tablet pcs during the year. Telyste research goes on to predict that Appleʼs iPad2 will retain 71% market share while Android powered devices, BlackBerry and WebOS (HP) will share the remaining 29%.

So with so many Australian’s buying iPads and iPad like devices are they a serious device for the business market.

According to Apple, the iPad2 will transform the way you work today, the Samsung Galaxy Tab is a complete new business tool and the BlackBerry PlayBook will let you work smarter. Marketing teams are certainly trying hard to get their share of your wallet but is the hype right?

Well there is little argument a tablet device is ultra portable and lets you consume media and complete tasks on the fly. Each of the major producers talk about the benefits of their hardware it is important to understand that the operating system is what unlocks the potential of the device.

With Apple you are locked in to the iTunes App Store and currently have access to over 65,000 apps and with Goolge you have the Android Marketplace with over 30,000 apps. At the end of the day the number of truly unique apps is much lower than this and increasingly apps are being made for multiple platforms.

For example if you currently use a cloud based app such as salesforce.com for your CRM you can already use it on your iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry and soon on your android device.There are many similar examples and increasingly these apps are finding ways to integrate from desktop/notebook to smartphone and tablet, all trying to sell you on a seamless user experience.

So to the question, to go tablet or not? If you are a fresh startup trying to conserve cash and need the processing power and portability I would recommend a powerful and cheap desktop computer partnered with a tablet pc to get the best of both worlds.

If you are not so concerned about your budget and are more focused on the value the device will deliver, then you probably already have one.

I for example have a high-end laptop that I do the bulk of my work on, I attend meetings and do presentations with my iPad. For single day trips I only use my iPad and leave the laptop at the office. One of the great advantages of a tablet is the sheer connivence I can use it comfortably in an economy airline seat, on a bus and in the back of taxi. I can use it to make presentations to small groups and so much more.

So when asking yourself if a tablet is for you, consider what applications would you benefit from, how you could benefit from the increased portability and if all of this is positive go ahead and grab yourself a tablet.

Which one, well I would recommend sticking to a major brand for quality and service reliability and the one whose operating system you are most familiar with.

 

Jason realised his passions for customer ser- vice excellence and employee engagement in his   early teens when starting his first busi- ness retailing information, communication and technology products and services. Over the following 15 years, he has applied these passions to the             banking, financial, retail, tech- nology and government sectors actualising significant revenue and growth, increases in client satisfaction and employee engagement.

Jason believes in challenging the status quo, inspiring employees, transforming teams and delivering results. His process reengineering, communication, change management and leadership skills are all enablers to delivering today and in the future.





Startup Daily